Buckwheat Buttermilk Pancakes with Maple Walnut Apple Topping
Makes 4-6 large pancakes
Buckwheat Buttermilk Pancakes
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 cup cultured buttermilk
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 organic pastured eggs
1 tbsp Kerry Gold butter melted
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp grade B maple syrup
Maple Walnut Apple Topping
2 large organic apples washed and chopped into medium chunks
2 tbsp grade B maple syrup
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk and butter. Stir in dry ingredients until smooth.
- Using coconut oil, ghee or cultured butter, grease a cast iron pan or griddle.
- Pour batter onto griddle. Wait until pancakes start to bubble on top and then flip over onto other side.
- While pancakes are cooking, cook apple chunks, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract in a small sauce pan on medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until apples are soft.
- Top pancakes with Maple Walnut Apple Topping and serve.