Maybe because everything tastes better in a bowl that the bowl craze is trending in the health food world or it allows you to eat most of your meals with a spoon (my utensil of choice).
I think the biggest reason the Bowl Craze has hit us hard is that it makes meal prep that much easier. The rules: If it fits in the bowl, it works.
Types of Bowls:
- Smoothie Bowls: a combination of fruit, vegetables, dairy free milk and your choice of toppings (granola, chia, hemp hearts, fruit, coconut, etc.)
- Breakfast Bowls: eggs, turkey bacon, sautéed veggies, avocado, sweet potato
- Buddha Bowl: a vegetarian spin on the bowl loaded with beans, whole grains, tempeh, veggies, nuts/seeds and avocados
- Basic Bowl: this can be made for any meal and pretty much follows some simple rules on what will end up being a satisfying blend of nutrients to help keep you fueled:
- Select your choice of protein: chicken, turkey, egg, tempeh, salmon, beans, lentils, protein powder.
- Add your antioxidants: fruit, raw, sautéed, roasted veggies or a combination of all of them.
- Pick a complex carb: quinoa, oatmeal, beans/lentils, sweet potato, brown rice.
- Choose your fat: avocado, tahini, coconut, nuts/seeds, chia seeds, flax, hemp hearts, olive oil.
Tips on creating the best bowl:
- FFP: make sure you have healthy fat fiber and protein in each bowl creation to keep you satiated and blood sugar levels stable.
- Avoid the blood sugar bomb: many bowls are simply fruit and carbohydrate based. Even healthy choices of these foods can make your blood sugar soar without having fat or protein to keep it steady.
- Load up the Veg: Bowls can make eating vegetables a lot easier since it is all mixed in one delicious creation.
- Get creative with toppings: Get creative with toppings: this is really where you can turn your bowl into a masterpiece worth eating. Avocaod, nuts, seeds, spices, fruit, granola, hemp hearts, veggies can all turn a sad little bowl into a work of delicious art.